Shipka Memorial Temple (ака "Memorial Temple of the Birth of Christ", "Shipka monastery" or in Bulgarian: "Hram-pametnik Rozhdestvo Hristovo") is located just north of town of Shipka at the southern foothills of Stara Planina, 12 km Northwest from the town of Kazanlak. It is one of the most sacred places for the Bulgarian people - a real pantheon of immortality, keeping the memory of the selfless feat of the Russian soldiers and the Bulgarian volunteers who died for the liberation of Bulgaria in the Russo-Turkish War 1877-78.
The memorial was officially opened in September 27, 1902 in the honour of the 25th anniversary of the Battle of Shipka Pass. The resources for its construction were gathered from donations.
Shipka Memorial Temple has gold-plated domes, rich decoration and beautiful wall-paintings, ancient icons. Its belfry is 53.4 m high and has 17 bells, the biggest of which is 12 tones.
In 1970 it was declared a historical monument of the culture.