Neoutzikon fortress (aka Mezek Fortress) is situated west of nowadays village of Mezek. Its area was 6.5 decares (6,500 square meters). This medieval fortress was built in XI century, out of stone, with two decorative lines of bricks on the outside. It has 9 towers, 5 of which lie at the vulnerable south wall.
The Mezek fortress was partially demolished in 1900 when stones from the fortress were used for the construction of Ottoman barracks in Svilengrad. Nowadays it is well-preserved and restored.